Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"Tangled" Opens Today!

"Tangled" opens in the US today and you should go see it if you live there. Why? Because it's really, really good. And it was made by a group of the most amazing, dedicated, hardworking and smart people in the world. Making the film was a five-year odyssey that I will never forget. It was the greatest experience of my life but also the hardest and most trying thing I've ever done.

I loved working with the amazing story crew and I hope we can all do it again someday (although, sadly, we're not all in the same place anymore). A special shout out to my friends, comrades and the greatest story crew ever:

Michael LaBash
Joe Mateo
Aurian Redson
John Ripa
Marc Smith
Lissa Treiman
Josie Trinidad
Chris Ure

With special guest help from Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins. And we couldn't have done it without the support and help of our production help from the incomparable Debra Barlow, Heather Blodget and Barbra Pushies.

Some of my selected sketches from the film (not all in continuity): Rapunzel plays hide-and-seek with her friend Pascal in the tower (since he's a chameleon, he blends in really well).





























These sketches are all done with pen on paper, then scanned into Photoshop and colored.

Anyway, I hope you all get to see the film and that you enjoy it. More drawings from the film to come over the weekend!

10 comments:

JaB said...

I loved it and plan to drag everyone I can to see it over the weekend! Thank you so much for your hard work, and congratulations!

Michael said...

Great work Mark! I saw the film after the CTN Expo and really enjoyed it. Made me want to go home and draw. Great post!

Gabby Zapata said...

Beautiful work! Loved the film! Now I want my very own little Pascal :)

Anthony Holden said...

I can't wait to see this. Rapunzel is so endearing.

Email me at: manofmissle@aol.com said...

Mark I wrote you Clay and the rest of the crew some thoughts on the film.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HtfuJXcUAvs/TO2wzuHV1yI/AAAAAAAAA0s/vCjNRGVncHc/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-11-24+at+7.41.07+PM.png

mark kennedy said...

Thanks, everyone, for letting me know that you enjoyed the film (or are excited to see it)! I've been living with it for so long that I'm so excited that the rest of the world finally gets to see it, and mostly people seem to like it, which is a great relief and makes all of the hard work worth every minute.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and say encouraging things, it means the world to me.

Artur Baranov said...

That was a fantastic scene!!! And if you know the animator that made the funny run of Pascal before he hides there tell him that was awesome and hilarious :D And tell the other guys who worked on this incredible movie they all did amazing job!!! Really enjoyed it!! And it was cool to see your name in the credits!

Quentin Lebegue said...

A board sequence ! Yay !

The movie hasn't been released in France yet, but I can't wait to see it !

Christina Dunigan said...

Maybe an odd question --

I was delighted that Rapunzel is built like me -- more booty than bust. Most Disney princesses are built like Playboy Playmates.

How did Rapunzel end up deviating from her bosomy predecessors? (My theory is that since she's so agile and active y'all decided to build her like a gymnast.)

GuildWars2Items said...

MapleStory Mesos i have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches Maple Story Mesos, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away MapleStory Mesos.

The past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it.scarlet blade gold, the future is before us and dynamic. Everything we do will affect it rs gold, You laugh at mescarlet blade gold for being different , but I laugh at you for being the same.