Monday, October 04, 2010

CalArts Talk pdf

UPDATE: Fixed the link (I think) this morning...let me know if it's still not working.

So I gave a talk tonight to Jim Hull's CalArts story class. Normally when I give talks I print out a giant handout for each student of all my talking points but I didn't this time in an effort to go green and save paper. But I promised the students I would upload a pdf file containing my handout so they could look at it digitally or print it out for themselves. So if you were there last night you can download the pdf here.

Also if you weren't there feel free to download the file...but it may not be as clear or as entertaining as watching me stumble through each topic and expand on each point with long, loopy and pointless stories, asides and anecdotes. Mostly this material is stuff I've posted and blogged about before, so it's nothing that new - it covers some basic staging stuff and "The First Things You Forget" (formerly known as "A Kick In the Head"). Also it contains Glen Keane's handout on drawing three dimensionally.

I talked a bit to the class about how the Feature Story Process actually works so I'll share that stuff soon too.

Let me know if the pdf link doesn't work!

15 comments:

Brian said...

I get a message that "Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

Alan Cook said...

PDF link doesn't seem to work.

Anonymous said...

Me three, link doesn't work. It sounds tasty, too.

Chris Jimenez said...

Same here. Update us when it's up because I can't wait to see what you presented. I wanted to go to CalArts but when I toured the campus I ended up coming home in tears because there was no way I could've afforded it.

mark kennedy said...

Okay, try again.....

David Martinez said...

It works!

Thanks for sharing

sb-illustrations said...

Mark, Thanks for all that you post. Much of it has been a great help as I attempt to eke out a living illustrating...Steve

Sherm said...

Wow-- this stuff looks fantastic! I casn't wait till I have a chance to give it a good read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for posting it!

Darrin Stephens said...

man, this is good stuff! thanks for sharing.

Jett said...

I go in to an elementary school on Fridays and teach drawing and comics to a small group of interested 6th graders.

I brought in this handout and printed out a few pages to give to them.

I'm impressed with how clear and concise your notes are... that CalArts kid find them useful... and 6th graders were entranced.

The only thing that would make this more helpful was if somebody filmed your lecture and posted it. *nudge nudge*

Thanks so much for your generosity.

David Beer said...

Dude, Thanks so much for the notes, they are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc!
This is the most exhaustive article on staging I've ever read. Thank you very much for sharing!

CA3 said...

The google docs link still works, as old as it is. I'll be giving this a read in the morning in spite of whatever confusion it may make. Thanks for sharing it, and don't hesitate to do this sort of thing with future documents you seek to share.

dte said...

It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human Sell Runescape Gold, if I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put buy guild wars 2 gold Y and I together guild wars 2 gold buy, A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on earth .

dte said...

The past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it.scarlet blade gold, the future is before us and dynamic. Everything we do will affect it rs gold, You laugh at mescarlet blade gold for being different , but I laugh at you for being the same.