Monday, July 12, 2010

Not a Good Movie, but Nice Titles by Robert McGinnis

Recently I talked about some "Hidden Gems" - movies I streamed on Netflix that I had never heard of before but enjoyed very much.

Of course, you can't find that many gems (and more recommendations to come) without discovering some lumpy, misshapen rocks. And fossilized dinosaur poo.

Based on my "viewing habits" Netflix recommended "The Hallelujah Trail" because it is also a western starring Burt Lancaster and was directed by John Sturges who has a pretty decent track record.

So I watched it. All of it.

And I thought it was horrible in every way. So I am NOT recommending "The Hallelujah Trail".

I actually wrote a long analysis of what's wrong with the movie but I hate to dump on things mercilessly and I don't like to sound snarky and negative. So I decided against posting it.

If you want to know one thing about the movie that sort of signifies all that is wrong with it, then check this out: Martin Landau (one of my favorite actors of all time) plays an Indian named "Chief-Walks-Stooped-Over" because he.......walks stooped over.

And that's ALL that Landau has to do in the movie, is walk stooped over. There's nothing more for him to play. There's no other funny or interesting thing about his character. He's just a guy that walks bent over and is called "Chief-Walks-Stooped-Over" and that's just about as funny or interesting as this movie gets. Which is to say, not very.

If you have never experienced tedium and want to see what it feels like, then by all means, watch it. Otherwise, stay away.

So why even bring it up? Well, because the opening and closing titles are paintings done by the illustrator Robert McGinnis. And they're awesome! I love the level of caricature in these. So I screencaptured all of the opening titles from the Netflix stream. That's why they're not such great quality. Sorry. I suppose I could buy the DVD and screencapture them, but I'm not going to buy this stinker. Sorry, I have done a lot for the sake of this blog, but I can't bring myself to do that.

I can't help but think that even these titles reflect the lackadaisical slapdash feel of the rest of the film. They don't seem to be lit very well. They seem to be reflecting some of the lights that were shining on them on the left hand side of the images (it's more pronounced in some than in others).



























I hope you enjoy these, because at least that would help me feel better about the time I spent watching this film. And let me know if you really like them, because I can go back and screencapture all of the closing credits, if people really want me to. Let me know!

19 comments:

Louise Smythe said...

sad to hear the movie's a dud, because these credits are so cool! i love mcginnis. i had no idea he did this.

Quentin Lebegue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quentin Lebegue said...

Nice titles ! I like the Donald Pleasence one !

KristianK said...

Looks so cool. I think you should definitely invest in the BlueRay ;) and make som dumps for everybody.

Sinu said...

Super cool paintings!!! Love it :)

de aap said...

These titles are really nice. Thanks for sharing, I'd love to see the end-credits as well!

I have to admit I kind of like to watch a bad film every once in a while because I can actually learn quite a lot by analyzing how they could've improved it. (of course I always hope that those bad films turn out to be so bad they're funny but that rarely happens, most of 'em are extremely boring, just like your example)

Jesse Hamm said...

Great titles. The Mirisches also used Richard Williams a couple of times to animate their Pink Panther titles, and commissioned some lively animation for their Irma La Douce preview. They knew how to open a film! Sorry to hear this one was a dud.

The art reminds me of 101 Dalmatians. I wonder whether it was just the natural expression of McGinnis's cartoony side, or if he'd been looking at Searle or something.

Kendra Melton said...

I wish title credits were still this beautiful. Every once in a while you'll see some that stand out but it's much more rare than it used to be. Thanks for these! they're gorgeous.

For anyone interested another set of beautiful opening credits is from the Great Race (1965) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmUYic65o0

XAV said...

Thanks for the images, Robert McGinnis is one of my favorite artist, I didn't knew he did that !

Clio said...

Aw, I kind of like the titles! Sorry to hear the movie was so bad...

Mickey Quinn said...

Thank you so much for sharing! :-)

Matt J said...

Great find- thanks for taking the time to grab & pos tthe titles

Sherm said...

Beatiful! Thanks for taking the time and effort to preserve these fleeting images!

Anonymous said...

oh - muchos gracias!

- miguel

Chad said...

It's a shame Hollywood treated work like this with so little respect.They're really nice and if you ever get a few minutes to spare the end titles would be great to see! Thanks for posting.

Robert said...

On average I'd say most big studio films from this period are duds.

It's old Hollywood reaching the end of its run and running out of ideas and new Hollywood hasn't quite gotten the keys yet.

The titles are reminiscent of the style "Bonanza" used. I don't know if McGinnis did those also.

Anwar said...

Jay ho Robert McGinnis

dubai rental property said...

I have discovered your website by accident and I think it´s wonderful! Very practical and filled with useful information!

Brandon Starr said...

I would love to see the closing credits!