Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Couple More Handout Pages

I've written quite a few handouts over the years about basic storyboarding stuff like composition, using values and simple layout tricks. Here are a couple more pages, full of the kind of basics that seem too obvious and simple to bother with but that can make the difference between a drawing that works and one that doesn't. I sure wish someone would have told me this stuff when I was at CalArts, anyway, it would've saved me years of crummy drawings...









This last page is from Andrew Loomis's "Creative Illustration" and they're about how different kind of shapes give different kinds of different emotional feelings. They can be really useful when boarding to help give your drawings the right kind of feeling for whatever type of scene you're boarding.

11 comments:

Matt Cadusch said...

Thanks for that, it's a nice quick visual reference. Your notes on tone and value make sense, too. Cheers!

David Gale said...

Wonderfully succinct. Thanks for posting these.

XAV said...

Always totally interesting !

JoBi said...

Nice and useful reference... I wonder if you'd scan the rest of those handouts...

AMBUJ JOSHI said...

Very useful post. Thanks!

Rodney Baker said...

Really enjoying your Basic Staging Principles. I love how you concisely and consistently hit your mark.

I'm am a little curious about that last handout. Isn't that from Don Graham's 'Composing Pictures'?

Apologies if I've got that wrong.

Thanks again Mark!

Rodney Baker said...

Disregard Mark. I see you've got it correctly attributed as Andrew Loomis's "Creative Illustration" in your blog. It's states 'Composing Pictures' on the handout.

Chris B said...

Great Stuff Mark!! I really enjoy these posts on composition. I would love to see some more examples of the last page " The relationship of line to emotional response". Keep them coming!!

Robert Bandel said...

Great, great information. Thanks for posting

marry said...

oho good dear !!!! very interesting blog and a good posting !!! you must maintain your blog, its interesting !!! Nice Buddy
________________________________

Help With Research Paper

Kevin said...

Mark,
Love this site. Thank you for your effort. I have a question about this image and maybe you can help. Can you think of shots in movies that show example of each line design? Im talking about the handout that showed how line depicts emotion in terms of graphic elements. My email address is kevinlee.1126@gmail.com
Thanks--Kevin