Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Recommended Podcast

I sometimes listen to the podcasts done by Jeff Goldsmith, senior editor for "Creative Screenwriting" magazine. Recently he interviewed Michael Ardnt, who is the writer of "Little Miss Sunshine"and I highly recommend downloading the podcast. You can find it in itunes by searching in podcasts for "creative screenwriting".

You'll get more out of it if you've seen the movie, but even if you haven't there is some great stuff about general moviemaking and character development. Warning: there are spoilers involved so if you haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine" yet you might want to wait until it comes out on DVD and see the movie before listening to the podcast.

The beef I have with most screenwriting resources in general is that they usually concern things that aren't related to story, stuff which is probably fascinating to writers trying to break into the business but kind of irrelevant to those of us who are only concerned with the workings of story. Usually screenwriting interviews focus on topics like how to get an agent or how to get your script in the hands of an "A" list actor.

The interesting thing about the Michael Ardnt interview is that Jeff asked a lot of those kind of questions but somehow Michael seemed to answer each one and at the same time he managed to work in tidbits about story structure and character development along the way. I listened to the podcast while I was driving to work and I found myself constantly pausing the interview to write down notes on what Michael had to say. I still have a few minutes of it I haven't listened to yet so if you see me on the freeway tomorrow morning you might want to give me a wide berth.

Anyway the best part about the whole thing is that it's totally free so go check it out! Isn't the internet cool???

12 comments:

Randeep Katari said...

The interweb is my bestest friend. Hope things are going well for ya...
Please give me a shout back when you get a chance!
Downloading this thing right now...thanks for the heads up - one of my favourite movies of the year.

-R.

SMacLeod said...

The internet is very very cool. thanks mark!

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to hear it if we passively resist (or conscientiously object to) installing iTunes?

mark kennedy said...

Thanks randeep and steve! I will write back randeep.

anon-I dunno. possibly checkout their website at

www.creativescreenwriting.com

RoboTaeKwon-Z said...

Michael gave a talk about beginnings and endings up here yesterday. Brilliant! Smart guy!

ConceptDesignWorkshop said...

Hi Mark

Just wanted to let you know that your work is the subject of the concept design workshop featured post for today (Nov 30).

http://conceptdesignworkshop.blogspot.com/

Please let me know if there is any problem with my use of your images/words.

Best regards,

ConceptDesignWorkshop

Flax Comics said...

Hi there. New blog reader here. I loved Little Miss Sunshine, so look forward to hearing the podcast. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Your site is awesome, I enjoy reading it, but please tell me you're not writing while driving.

That is SO reckless and selfish. Is your love of storytelling worth causing an accident?

Sorry to rain on the parade, but every week I have to dodge the boneheaded move of some sloppy driver who's on a cellphone or playing with gadgets in their car.

Dave said...

Thanks for the podcast recommendation - it was great!

annawritedraw said...

Hey Matt:
I don't really know another way to give you info so I thought I'd post this here. I get this type of request every once in a while as I lead an illustrator's group. Thought your readers might be interested. Hope it is above board (Ha-ha) as I do not intend to forward junk only to be helpful.
Anna

DO YOU WANT TO BE A STORYBOARD ARTIST?

Storyboards Inc. has represented the best artists in the business for over
25 years and we are looking for some fresh talent to join our team. We
represent experienced artists who draw storyboards, shooting boards and
comps for advertising agencies, commercial production agencies, and film
production companies. Our client roster boasts top agencies all across the
country. We require you to have at least 3 years experience in the
storyboarding business and would ask that you take a look at our website to
understand the level of talent required. Please be clear about what type of
storyboarding you're interested in. We are not interested in finished
illustration, fine-art work, figure drawing, or graphic design work. Work
can be submitted via email to ariam@storyboardsinc.com or on a CD. We're
based in Los Angeles, but rep artists across the country.


Thanks,
Ariam

Ariam Mogos
Storyboards Inc.
Artists' Representative
100 Market Street, Suite E
Venice, CA 90291
www.storyboardsinc.com
t: 310.581.4050
f: 310.581.4060

annawritedraw said...

EEK! Sorry Mark (I have a buddy Matt Kennedy.)
Anna

darren-s said...

Very interesting to hear he is now working at Pixar.
Another podcast I listened to from this series was the Syriana one. Also interesting because he says that story is the last thing he thinks about. Then he goes on to quote Tolstoy to back it up. Syriana is by no means a Pixar style of film. But 20 years from now I think Pixar films and movies like Syriana are the ones that are going to be remembered. Thanks for pointing out this great podcast series. Another one I've been downloading is the Salon.com podcasts. They've had some good directors talk about filmmaking as well.