Monday, October 30, 2006

"Working for Page Impact"

These are pages from the "Famous Artists Course" by Fred Ludekins. Click to see bigger.

Here, Fred shows some of his thumbnails for an illustration and explains why he rejects his first attempts and how he settled on the composition of the final painting.




Any good storyboard artist will begin a scene by thumbnailing. The right staging is essential to putting across your ideas with the maximum impact. In many cases the staging is inherent to the idea working. If the staging is changed the idea itself will be affected and the meaning of the image will be changed.

Mr. Ludekins makes a good point: many times I find that the best option in staging a scene is the one that allows us to see the face of the character while also putting over the idea clearly. As important as it is to stage the idea clearly, it is also very important to let the audience know how your characters feel about what is happening. That is why an image usually has more impact if it is staged so we can see the character's face. But then again it is possible to get a lot of expression and emotion out of a character when you don't see their face at all. Sometimes body language is more effective than any expression could be.

3 comments:

Randeep Katari said...

Hey Mr. Kennedy!
This is absolutely perfect right now - I'm in the thumbnailing stage for my scene in our film and this helps tons!
Did you get my last e-mail? Hope all is well, and talk to you soon. Give me a shout when you have a minute.

-R.

Josh Farkas | Water Media said...

As always, a great post...

What I find interesting is the author's switch in main image focus from right to left. These sorts of design items tend to be more subjective, but I prefer the original righthand version.

Images are great lead ins when they imply a story, but this one gives the punchline away. Lefthand text with the swapped image would read better in my opinion.

Andreas said...

I thank you for these famous artists course posts. I picked up a set of huge binders one the cartooning course, the Famous Artists Corse, and the first 8 lessons of the painting corse. Sadly they are all incomplete and missing pages. Thanks for posting these pages. I look forward to your posts as often as you make them. I have always lived with the idea that I never know where or when I will be inspired, or by what, but I can always count on your posts to inspire. Thanks for your efforts.