Thursday, September 21, 2006

Rowland Wilson on Painting (UPDATED)

Last of the Wilson handouts!

Okay, I have to admit I don't totally understand this one. I'm not a painter and I don't know anything about color, or painting, or anything about real art. Me only know how to draw cartoon pictures for money. Me big dummy about color. Sorry.

But perhaps one of you who knows things about color and/or painting can illuminate these concepts for us! If anyone can please post this on a blog somewhere and spell it out! That would be great.

***UPDATED 9/24: Susi posted a link to these pages from "Creative Illustartion" by Andrew Loomis. They have examples in color that really help clarify these concepts. Thanks a million, Susi!






So Josh Farkas has turned the Wilson handouts into pdf's (as well as many other things I have posted!). You can find them here. He also turned the "Comic Strip Artists Kit" into a pdf file. So did Brandon Blatcher. You can download Brandon's version here.

13 comments:

colin said...

But, but! It's all explained on the sheets! :-)

Seriously, I doubt you'll get a more lucid explanation than what's written there anywhere else. (And before you ask, no, I'm not an expert either, but I have read a bit of stuff about color theory here and there.)

It looks to me like these were originally printed in color. It's a bit hard to see what he's talking about in black and white.

Anyway, I love this blog. It's a great resource for amateurs like myself. Please keep it up!

Dustin A. Foust said...

I just want to thank your for the blog. Some really good stuff. Thanks!

Sam Nielson said...

Thanks for passing along the great tips! I have a (very basic) idea of what he's talking about, but it's a little hard to elaborate without seeing his examples in color.

mark kennedy said...

Exactly, if it was in color, I would understand it (hopefully).

Maybe somebody will take it and paint some examples so we can really get the full scope of what he is saying.

Sam Nielson said...

I'm an amateur at painting, but I've got some coworkers who are very knowledgeable. I'll see if I can convince one of them to do something.

Zimpleton said...

I know nothing... especially about color, but I like this tutorial and it`s in color.
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Susi said...

Mark, when you put these up the first time I was confused too by the b/w images and couldn't really get it.
Later I found the cube pictures IN COLOR on Andrew Loomis' "Creative Illustration" http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=136&cat=13
and just looking at them all was finally clear! If you then got time to read the whole chapter on color, you'll hardly end up with any other doubt...

Hope this will help as it helped me!

Keep up the great work on this blog, It's amazing how much I'm learning from it...
Ciao,
Susi

mark kennedy said...

Thanks a lot, zimpleton and susi, very helpful!

tulanoodle said...

All these hand outs you have been posting have been really amazing. I don't know how I would get through layout and storyboarding class without them! I really really appreciate it.

Dave said...

Yeah, thanks Mark! I appreciate your dedication to teaching art - It really makes a difference.

Randeep Katari said...

man, these are SO awesome, what else can I say?

-R.

Boris Hiestand said...

absolutely fantastic! it's clear, plain, simple, real and true. Oh,.. and in black and white!

love your blog!

Tealin said...

Thank you thank you THANK YOU for posting this Rowland Wilson stuff – I was blown away by the clarity and simplicity of the composition notes when I first saw them in school (as about 6th-generation photocopies; not nearly as nice as yours) and now to discover there's more? Thank you so much ... and for all the other amazing resources and insights, too!