Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another Tribute

Things are very busy right now and I don't have much time to write posts. Also, I sprained my thumb badly and it hurts to draw...or type! So here's a post of few words.

Since everybody seemed to like the tributes to Joe Ranft that everyone has posted, I thought I would post this: the Disney press release that was written for Bill Peet when he died. I scanned it pretty high res; click to read.



Here is some more of Bill's work that I doubt anyone has seen before; Vance Gerry owned them and let me copy them. I scanned these high res too; click to get a good look.






Did you know that Bill's given name was actually Bill Peed? In his earliest credits he used that name, before changing his last name to "Peet". According to the interview he gave to "Hogan's Alley" a few years ago, he changed it so that his children wouldn't suffer the same lifelong ridicule that he had to put up with.

11 comments:

Young Vo said...

That was awsome! thanks for sharing. Cool article.

Dave said...

These are nice and super thoughtful - thank you!

floyd Norman said...

When Bill Peet walked out of Disney in 1966 he never returned. Or so I thought.

Turns out Bill had been coming in to visit the photo library, then located in the basement of the ROD Building. We saw him there one afternoon back in the eighties, and he was nice enough to spend some time with us.

A truly amazing guy.

Jim M. said...

Jeezum he could draw...

Did he ever do any underdrawing? I can't tell from any of the work in his autobiography, nor from Paper Dreams...

Randeep Katari said...

Hey Mr. Kennedy
Thanks for these drawings, just beautiful stuff...hope you didn't sprain your thumb too badly...Look for my picture post later today or early tomorrow!

-R.

Anonymous said...

Bill told me that the pic of him on the floor was set up for the photo.

Paige Keiser said...

I love those thick lined, expressive sketches - wow! Thanks for posting. Hope your thumb gets better soon.

mark walton said...

These drawings are awesome, Mark (like everything else you post here) - thanks for taking the time to share them. He made it look so easy!! How did you sprain your thumb, anyway?

mark kennedy said...

Hey, everybody thanks for the comments. Interesting, Floyd!

Jim m - he didn't do underdrawing. He did roughs on paper and then went back and cleaned them up. But no underdrawing...most board artists at Disney don't do an underdrawing. We tend to gravitate towards a cleaner, simpler look and an underdrawing just looks messy, I guess.
Hey Paige thanks for the good wishes!
Hey Mark, I have more to show soon. My thumb got sprained when my dog started to run accross the street so I grabbed for her leash but smashed my hand on the concrete instead.

Anonymous said...

Such Simplicity, Such Efficacity. Amazing.

Sources said...

Great Great Great Job here, Mr Kennedy.


I've learned more in few months, by reading your Blog, than my few past years in Art Class Rooms.
You're amazing, the job you did here is a Benediction for readers !
Thank's so much, Mr. Kennedy !