Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Future! Part Two

So back to reprinting Mr. Gulino's book without permission (see previous post)...

According to Mr. G there are "Four basic tools that have been employed successfully to keep the audience attention into the future." He lists them in what he calls "ascending significance", meaning that the first one is the weakest and the last one is the strongest. Here are the first two, the weakest being first: Telegraphing, and the Dangling Cause.

Click to see bigger and for easier reading.






I will post the next two ways in my nest post.

Now this may all seem incredibly obvious to many of you. Probably most of the drawing things I talk about here seem obvious too. But I find that a lot of knowledge about these things sounds really simple...and they're easy to dismiss as obvious and you think you know them.

But, as a writer or an artist, when you're staring at the blank page, you tend to panic and forget the simple things. That's why I drill them into my head over and over again...so I will remember them when I need them.

I wish I had more time to write about these things in depth and post more often, but things are crazy (as always) and I can only do a little bit at a time. Someday (when I am in prison for copyright infringement, maybe) I will post more and do a better job of it.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks for posting these - as with everything on your blog - very inspirational and helpful.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add my thanks, too, for these last two posts (but also for this blog, and for the other great posts which I've been reading for a while now).

Anyway, this "obvious" stuff is enthralling to me and I'm tempted to hit Amazon.com right now and buy the book, so the author can't be feeling too bad about what you're doing.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Butalbital ship to florida Bluetooth wireless headset cell office Hiking trail construction jobs Refurbished hp designjet plotters T3 internet service provider missouri Sebum hair loss Dizzyness lexapro Buy a cheap dishwasher Best deal business small voip  thephonegenie Craps rental table Mazda dealers in las vegas Ambien withdrawl symptoms picture of structure of fluoxetine hydrochloride taos web hosting portable dishwasher Vax vacuum cleaner spare parts