Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Future! Part Three

The last two of Mr. Gulino's concepts of "focusing your audience on the future" and the two "most powerful" ways to do it: Dramatic Irony and Dramatic Tension.

Also, interesting, in the section on Dramatic Tension is an interesting interpretation of why a movie needs (at least) three acts. Aslo you'll see that he starts to talk about "Sequence Structure", which is mostly what the rest of the book is about: an approach to movies that involves looking at them as a series of eight sequences and why this seems to work in many movies. Most of the book, in fact, is analysis of several varied films and how they reflect this eight-sequence structure and how they use these four variations of "looking into the future" in different ways.

Click to see bigger.






Whew! Enough talking about story. Let's take a break from the story yakkity-yak and I will try to talk about drawing for a while.

A story artist's job consists of drawing and storyboarding but also sitting around and discussing the structure of the movie and brainstorming how to make the movie better. In the periods where I tend to be in meeting talking about stuff I tend to blog about story. Then in the rare periods where I get to sit and draw I tend to talk about drawing. These days I am sick to death of talking about story and I hardly remember how to draw...I will try to write something interesting about drawing soon.

9 comments:

Marmax said...

Great post...it's much appreciated.

Jeremy Spears said...

No don't stop!!! This is so good!

mark kennedy said...

Thanks for the comments guys. It's hard to tell what's working for people because nobody comments much anymore. Jeremy, I will post more story stuff soon.

Doron Meir said...

Good stuff, Mark - very interesting reading. Thanks!

I need to say something about Pirates 2. I loved the 1st one, because I fell in love with the characters first, and then wanted to know about the future. In P2, however, I found I didn't care about them one bit. Sure, there were all these questions about the future and so on, very nice - but I left the cinema about 100min into the film. I found I simply couldn't care less about the answers.

mark kennedy said...

Doron- thanks for the comment. I actually had the opposite reaction. I cared about the characters and I was interested in the way they all started to change in the new movie, and I can't wait to see where they end up...another form of anticipation that makes me interested to see the next one. But after hearing everone's reaction I guess I will be one of few people in the theatres to see it next summer!

Anonymous said...

What a great site Replace cpu marriott timeshare for sale shop Direct tv voip technology Hardcore hot butt fuck Budget multi trip insurance timeshare rental las vegas Fluoxetine can you drink alcohol Mild stroke bextra stroke pennsylvania hand stroke Power wheel chair accessories Used freezer displays personal injury attorney califor Womens rain jackets

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Australia it job search zoloft and night sweat and bad dreams Moremotion web designer v1.3.2.614 Em fake hold money play texas web designer Repair tip dishwasher 270 count didrex canada S basic service website designers http://www.b-weight-b-b-loss-b-pill.info Certificate investment lien tax Ceigna dental Oxycontin identification pictures Free gay hairy men sex pictures Ativan online lorazepam

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. film editing classes

GuildWars2Items said...

The bravery of each bull is then rated with care according to the number of times he demonstrates his willingness to charge in spite of the sting of the blade Runescape gp, Henceforth will I recognize that each day I am tested by life in like manner. If I persist, if I continue to try, if I continue to charge forward, I will succeed rs gp, Your future depends on your dreams Runescape2 Gold. So go to sleep. Do not keep anything for a special occasion..

Would you write to please D3 Gold just yourself? Or others? Or yourself by writing for others Cheap D3 Gold? It takes strength to do what must be done when the work is unpleasant and uncomfortable D3 Gold Sale, And of what would you write: Of love? Hate? Fun? Misery? Life? Death?Nothing Everything?