Monday, May 08, 2006

Lazy Lines

Hopefully, all of you are familiar with Animation Meat. It's got lots of great animation handouts including several of Walt Stanchfield's notes. Walt was a gesture drawing teacher at Disney for many years. He started as a clean-up artist and animator way back in the old days. He died a few years ago but left an amazing collection of notes about gesture drawing. Most of the stuff I've learned from his handouts I've never seen written down anywhere else.

His notes are everywhere on the web so hopefully you've read them. But perhaps they are so common that you haven't seen them. When you find a hundred of them on a website, it probably seems overwhelming and you don't know where to start. Well, let me suggest one.

This is my favorite handout of all time: Walt's discussion of "lazy lines". Click over here and scroll down for the handout called "Lazy Lines". Click on it and it will downlaod a pdf file for you.

I loved Walt's talks about gesture but I loved it when he would talk about animation drawing - tricks and tips for improving your animation drawings in ways other than better gestures. Nobody talks about that stuff! But in this great handout he spills the beans on some great tips for improving your drawings by making every line pull it's weight and not be "lazy". It's invaluable stuff!

4 comments:

Jeremy Spears said...

I've linked you to my blog, Thanks for posting your knowledge. I'm trying to learn all that I can about story, so your thoughts and experiences are very helpful. Anyways I printed 50 of Walts notes last summer and went thought them once and am now going through them again. Lazy Lines was a very good one! Thanks again!

-Jeremy S.

Scott LeMien said...

awesome choice, mark! I remember seeing all these pdfs and being intimidated as heck by all the stuff in there. Plus, I always have problems drawing 'tight' which, as an occasional comic artist, is a ridiculous hurdle--but this seems like a way to possibly, not sure tho, wrap my brain around the idea of drawing slower and tighter--saying what it is i'm drawing, and how its being acted upon.

thanks again, super-post!

mark walton said...

I was not aware of this site, Mark! Thanks a ton, that stuff is gold - although I now feel incredibly lazy! But what a teacher! It seems clear that he really knew and lived what I think being an artist is all about: being aware of and appreciating all of the aesthetic pleasures, all of the details, in any given moment of life - experiencing the inherent beauty of whatever you're seeing, doing, feeling, etc. in full.

Anonymous said...

All PDF's are now here

http://animationmeat.com/pdf/misc/waltstanchfield/