Monday, March 13, 2006

Boo!

Okay, I've been doing entirely too much talking lately! More pure drawing stuff to come. When I picked this black and white blog template I didn't realize I would be posting all black and white artwork. Looks pretty dull, but I tried a bunch of colorful templates on for size and they didn't look or feel right.

This is an interesting piece by Stevan Dohanos, where he walks you through his process as he draws a house that's supposed to look haunted.

I don't know about you, but this is the kind of thing that happens to me all the time: the director will issue me a scene, and say, "yeah, and when you draw this house in the background, make it look haunted". Yeah, I think, got it. Then I start to draw in the house, thinking it's going to be easy, and then I realize: I never thought about what makes a house look haunted, and I actually have no idea how to do it.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Man Mark, my brain is going to explode...and I love it. All this information is incredible, and I can't thank you enough for posting it.

Thank you so much for taking the time, It must be alot of work to pick through your stash, scan stuff in, and write your thoughts on the subject, but it is helping me immensely, shaving months if not years off of my own learning time...

THANK YOU!!!!!

Goobeetsablog said...

Thanks again-
Those are some helpful ideas.

What strikes me is that the artist didn't choose to use a worm's eye view to make the house appear domineering, as many illustrators might.

He seems to be shooting it from the an adjacent hilltop, so we are looking down on it. Which in a sense makes the house appear more vulnerable. Very smartly designed.

mark kennedy said...

Steve-no problem, thanks for leaving a comment! I felt terrible I never responded to your request about those 10 or 12 things...I will get to that soon.

goobeetsablog-Thatnks for the feedback! You bring up an interesting point. You are right, that a worm's eye view would make it more domineering - and that's one kind of idea, but this vantage point makes it look like a lonely haunted house, not a scary one.

pbcbstudios said...

i wish i knew how to read, this blog would be awesome then!

yo man, i'll show you how to change bg and type colors tomorrow if you want.

Steve said...

don't feel bad, I tend to do that alot... ask to many questions before digesting what's being said to me...

I can see that your posts are answering my questions, I just have to take all the information in, and start applying it before I see the answer clearly =]

Bill said...

Hi Mark - I'm an animation student (about to graduate this spring... :O ) and your blog is terrific. I really enjoyed the past few posts about layout. Keep up the good work!

GuildWars2Items said...

The ordinary bat that flies around at night, who is a remarkable nim in the air, cannot take off from a level place aion gold, if it is placed on the floor or flat ground, all it can do is to shuffle about helplessly and aion gold, no doubt, painfully, until it reaches some slight elevation from which it can throw itself into the air. Then, at once, it takes off like a flash aion gold.

The past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it.scarlet blade gold, the future is before us and dynamic. Everything we do will affect it rs gold, You laugh at mescarlet blade gold for being different , but I laugh at you for being the same.